The National Coach Museum
Located by the river Tagus, in the western area of Lisbon, the National Coach Museum occupies the premises formerly belonging to the Oficinas Gerais do Exército (old General Military Workshops).
The Royal Riding School, which used to belong to the Royal Palace of Belém, currently the official residence of the President of the Republic, can still be visited as an exhibition nucleus of the National Coach Museum.
The museum has one of the finest collections of historical carriages in the world, being one of the most visited museums of the city.
The museum is housed in the old Horse Riding Arena of the Belém Palace, formerly a Royal Palace which is now the official residence of the President of Portugal. The Horse Riding Area was built after 1787 following the Neoclassical design of Italian architect Giacomo Azzolini.
Several Portuguese artists decorated the interior of the building with paintings and tile (azulejo) panels. The inner arena is 50 m long and 17 m wide, and was used for training horses and for horse riding exhibitions and games, which could be watched from its balconies by the Portuguese royal family.